Mattress disposal tips
There are several ways to recycle your old mattress and keep it out of landfills.
- Before throwing away your mattress, it’s best to wrap it in heavy plastic. Doing this will protect your family from any allergens present and also keep it from smelling.
- To make this work, purchase a heavy plastic bag at a hardware store or a supermarket.
- Cut the plastic to two feet long and secure it with upholstery staples.
- Keeping the mattress enclosed will help it keep out insects and other pests.
- After you’ve sealed the mattress, you can then dispose of it.
Mattress disposal options
If you have an old mattress that you no longer need, there are many options available for mattress disposal.
- Recycle your old mattress
- Donate your old mattress
- You could use it for a child’s room or a play area, or you could even use it as a bed for a pet.
- The foam and latex materials can be used for padding or fill in a new mattress, while the wood parts can be recycled into kindling.
Recycle your old mattress
There are specialized organizations that collect the material, and there are also programs that collect the entire mattress. To find out where to send your mattress, check out your city’s website and the mattress size chart mentioned. You may be able to call a sanitation department to arrange for bulk pickup of your mattress. However, you may need to arrange for removal on a different day. If you are a crafty person, you can recycle your old mattress. You can use the springs to make a flower vase holder, a bird feeder, or a snack holder.
The process of recycling a mattress is quite simple. The best way to do it is by removing the wooden frame and stuffing and composting it. You can even use the wooden frame to make a backyard compost pile. If you do not want to use the stuffing, you can recycle the wooden slats instead. If you cannot find a place that will accept your old mattress, you can donate it to a homeless shelter instead.
Donate your old mattress
You can donate your old mattress to charity to help people in need, but there are some tips that you need to keep in mind before donating your mattress. You should ensure that the mattress is clean and structurally sound. You should also consider other options if you are unable to find a place to donate the mattress. There are organizations that take donations for free, including nonprofits, churches, and national charities. Make sure to check their website to see which charities accept old mattresses, as not all may take them.
Prepare your mattress for disposal
You can donate it to your neighborhood Goodwill or Salvation Army. Be sure that the mattress is in good condition with no rips or stains. Keep in mind that some organizations only accept specific sizes or mattresses with a foundation. If you want to donate your mattress to a nonprofit organization, be sure to contact them first. Avoid these common mistakes, which can cost you money and damage your vehicle.
Remove the mattress cover and make it easy to move. The cover will expose the interior springs. Save the innersprings for recycling. They can be upcycled into wine racks. While you’re removing the mattress cover, make sure to wear safety equipment, such as work gloves and eye protection. Otherwise, it may catch fire and be unsafe for others. Once the cover has been removed, you can start the process of preparing your used mattress for disposal.
Dispose of your mattress in a safe and eco-friendly way
There are several ways to dispose of your old mattress. The springs can be used as seed supports in your garden. You can even use the metal frame to create beautiful wall art. You can find many creative ideas for old mattresses on Pinterest or in Home Hacks. Not only do you reduce the amount of waste you create, but you also save money on disposal fees.
While many mattress companies do not accept old mattresses, there are alternatives that you can try. First, you can give your old mattress to a friend or charity. But it’s not an easy process. Most recycling centers do not have the technology to sort through old mattresses and look for their mattress types. To find a recycling company that will take your old mattress, you should check the website of the state department of waste management.
Tips for keeping your home clean during mattress disposal
- You can also contact a local company that offers pickup services. These companies are typically well-organized and provide a range of services. Once you know what you’re doing, you can avoid the hassle of coordinating the removal, disposal process and focus on keeping your home clean.
- Some shelters serve specific populations and may require a special bag for the mattress. Make sure you follow the rules and put the mattress in a plastic bag. Lastly, make sure you don’t leave the mattress in the garage or outdoors. You may also want to give it to a friend or family member.
- Be sure to read the rules for disposing of mattresses in your city or state. There may be additional requirements for sanitizing the mattress before it can be disposed of. Some places require you to use a plastic bag designed for this purpose.
The Bottom line
One of the easiest ways to dispose of an old mattress is to cut off the mattress’s cover and collect the stuffing beneath. You can use wire cutters or heavy-duty pliers to cut these staples. After you have cut off the fabric cover, you can scoop up the stuffing and put it in a big trash bag. It’s usually made of wool or cotton. If you live in a community that has a trash collection service, contact the local council for more information on recycling protocols.