As we know glucose is the main energy source used by the body for any kind of activity. While having consistent low blood glucose (sugar) levels is known as hypoglycemia.
If we discuss it with numbers, blood sugar levels less than 70 mg/dl are considered as low. People who are on diabetic medications are more prone to have low blood sugar levels.
Reasons could be excessive exercise, too much medications, fasting, meal skipping, etc leads up to hypoglycemia in diabetic people.
More often hypoglycemia (low blood sugar levels) is related to the treatment of diabetes. But there are many drugs and conditions other than diabetes that can also cause low blood sugar levels in people.
Important Info: If You Want to Reverse Your Type 2 Diabetes then Book First Online Consultation For Just INR 100 Only.
Book Now From Here: https://www.breathewellbeing.in/
What are the causes of Hypoglycemia?
It can be caused by a number of reasons but is often seen as cons of diabetic treatment. Here is the list of possible causes of low blood sugar –
Causes of low blood sugar levels in people with diabetes
- Keeping diabetes in mind and along with medications people starts skipping meals, not eating healthy and balanced diet can also cause low sugar levels.
- Sometimes people do excessive workout or exercise which leads to too much drop in sugar levels.
- In some cases it is seen that people with diabetes and have drinking alcohol habits can make it worse.
- Diabetic people who are engaged in too much physical activities and getting enough vitamins and minerals can result in having low glucose levels.
Medications used in diabetes management
- Diabetes are of many types but the it can be understood by – body’s inability to use insulin hormone released from pancreas.
- Insluin helps cells to use glucose (sugar) in an energy form.
- In diabetes people have high levels of blood glucose (sugar) in their body’s.
- Sometimes these levels are persistent and medications are required to increase insulin production.
- Some type of diabetes patient’s are also prescribed for insulin injections.
- People who took these medications for long term can affect their blood glucose levels.
Causes of low blood sugar in people without diabetes
- Pancreatic problems can also cause overproduction of insulin resulting hypoglycemia.
- Hormonal imbalances that can be a disorder can also affect sugar levels.
- Medications which are used to treat malaria could be used as an example. It can result in having low blood sugar levels.
- Kidney disorders such as hepatitis, cirrhosis can effects the vital functions in body and leads to affecting sugar levels in the body.
Also Read: Indian Diet Chart For Diabetic Patient
What are the symptoms of Hypoglycemia?
- Pale skin
- Heartbeat irregularity
- Excessive sweating
- Blurred vision
- Unable to concentrate
- Tingling or numbness of the lips, tongue, or cheek, etc.
It is seen that low blood sugar levels occur when patient didn’t have any food, but it can also occurs after having high sugar meals, as body produces more insulin than requirement.
What are the treatments of Hypoglycemia?
Usually, treatment involves raising blood sugar levels to normal. It could be done by using high sugar foods, drinks, or medications.
In cases of long term treatment, doctors will focus more on the causes of low blood sugar levels. If you have symptoms of low blood sugar following could be done –
- Have 15 to 20 gram of fast acting carbohydrates.
- You can also try glucose tablets, gels, fruit juice, regular soft drinks, honey, etc.
- Also make sure to check sugar levels in every 15 minutes after treatment.
- Once sugar levels get normal you can have snack or meal, as it is helpful in stabilizing levels.
In severe low sugar levels cases –
- If patient is unable to have food through mouth then glucose injections can be given.
- People who take insulin shots need to keep glucagon injections kit for emergencies.
- If somebody got faint due to low sugar levels make sure to help them reach near medical emergency.
What are the complications associated with Hypoglycemia?
- Having sugar levels lower than normal in people having diabetes.
- Make sure the blood sugar levels aren’t too low, because it can be a life threatening situation.
- Untreated hypoglycemia can lead to the damage to nervous system – seizures, fainting, dizziness, etc.
- While not getting treatment for low blood sugar levels can also cause accidents, dementia in older adults, weakness, etc.
- In such cases, you should follow blood sugar levels chart given by the doctors that includes fasting blood sugar levels and post eating blood sugar levels information.
How to Prevent Yourself from Hypoglycemia?
- Regular check ups – nowadays there are so many health products available in the market to keep a check at your blood sugar levels.
- Drink during exercise – you use energy for any kind of activity, while doing exercise we required a lot more energy, which can cause dip in blood sugar levels. Make sure to eat something before starting workout. Also during workout you can consume some healthy carbs to keep your blood sugar levels up.
- Healthy eating – make sure to have a chart about what to eat and not to eat in cases of diabetes as well as in low sugar levels. Also make sure not to skip meals or hungry for long time.
- Follow plans given by doctor – yes it is necessary as people think that they are a doctor. It is important to follow meal and medication plans as suggested by the doctors. Make sure to keep an eye on your blood sugar levels.
If you have any query or looking for any kind of answers related to diabetes, its always been better to take consultation from the doctor. Taking any course of treatment of your own can also cause excessive damage and be life threatening.