Today we’re going to cover something called KMS which allows you to easily manage and keep your systems activated with Microsoft. One of the things I had kind of a hard time trying to describe is how to activate Windows with KMS server and get people to understand at my current job.
When you need Volume or Mak- activation?
There are two modes of connection that basically depend upon the servers if we have a lesser users and small group of servers you can go for MAK-term activation. If we have many users and we make sure to keep all those systems activated in this case we will prefer Volume-based activation.
If we further elaborate the volume-based activation we can come up with three different frameworks in activations of Window 10 with the help of key management service hosting.
- By installing KMS hosting on windows 10
- By running KMS hosting on windows server 2012 R2
- You can also install KMS hosting on prior version of windows
How key management service works?
I am trying to elucidate how to activate Windows with KMS server with a real-time example so hopefully, it’ll make sense and you will understand better. Microsoft has a way to activate your computers on your network without actually contacting Microsoft. What happens is you have these desktop customers that are on your network and you have some servers on your network.
Let’s suppose we had a lab and not all the computers are being used at the same time so we had you know literally a hundred and fifty virtual machines and only you know four or five people doing testing so they would not need all 150 at the same time so to go and buy you
know 150 licenses for all of those when we only have so many users we buy user licenses for people to use them but we still need to keep all those systems activated so we put in what’s in here in the middle. Which is a key management server.
So you purchase from Microsoft a volume license of what you want to be using so if you’re going to be using servers then you need to buy at least five server licenses and for desktops, you need to have at least 25. So before the key management server actually says that it’s activated with Microsoft and is working you need to have at least 25 desktops and 5 servers activated against it.
Installation of KMS hosting in Windows 10
It’s better for all of you to note down these steps of activate Windows with KMS server before running kms hosting. To connect KMS you need to run “slmgr.vbs” on command prompt.
- In order to install the key management service key you need to feed this command vbs /ipk <KmsKey>.
- If you want to go for the online activation you can use vbs /ato this text code.
- You can also directly activate Windows with KMS server by calling on the official numbers of Microsoft license providers. Let’s study the whole procedure step by step.
- First of all you need to confirm the installation ID by running slmgr.vbs /dti file.
- Make a call to the Microsoft license center representative and follow the instruction to enter installation id.
- Follow the voice message and note down 48 digits id assurance number for OS activation.
- Now click on this vbs /atp \<confirmation ID\> and your KMS hosting will be completed.
I tried my best to convey my knowledge about activate Windows with KMS server to my readers to maximum effect. I am quite hopeful that this brief paper piece will clear majority of your doubts.