Travel Restrictions and exemptions:

To help prevent the spread of COVID-19, Australia’s borders are currently closed and still strictly controlled by Australia’s entry. If you are exempt or have been granted an individual exemption, travel to Australia is available only. In response to the circumstances all around COVID-19, travel restrictions are subject to change. By checking this page regularly, you can get all the latest information. Further information is provided on transiting Australia webpage if you are traveling through Australia. 

Exemption requests for travel from India:

India is considering the High-risk COVID-19 country according to Export health advice at the current situation. Anyone who is currently located in India, The ABF will not approve discretionary inwards travel exemptions. Who can update this advice; please check the webpage. 

A Child Walking The Dog With Her Parents

Temporary Visa holders:

Temporary visa holders can move at any time in Australia, but they will not permit to return in a general way. At Temporary visa holders leaving Australia for a short trip overseas, more information is provided quickly. 

Exempt categories:

If you are:

  • A person who keeps a business innovation and investment visa.
  • A person recruited under the Government approved seasonal worker program or pacific labor scheme.
  • airline crew, the maritime team also involve marine pilots
  • for 72 hours or less, a person transiting Australia
  • A diplomat accredited to Australia, including immediate family members (everyone holds a valid visa of subclass 995)
  • A person who has been in New Zealand or Australia for 14 days or more immediately before arrival by air in Australia
  • A new Zealand citizen usually resident in Australia and their immediate family members
  • A close family member of an Australian citizen or permanent resident
  • A permanent resident of Australia
  • An Australian citizen

Then you are automatically exempt from the travel restrictions and can enter Australia without any limitation. 

You have to provide evidence of your relationship like a marriage certificate, proof of your de-facto relationship like shared finances or property, your birth certificate or children birth certificate to the department before you travel to Australia if you hold a temporary visa or do not yet hold the valid key for Australia. At the immediate family of an Australian citizen or permanent resident or New Zealand citizen usually resident in Australia, you can find more and more information. 

Additional proof may be required, so you need to keep all the warranties to meet one of the above categories during traveling. 

You can request an individual exemption to Australia’s travel restriction if you are not in an exempt category. 

Individual Exemptions:

You may grant an individual exemption by the Commissioner of the Australian Border Force and decision-makers if you are:

  • We were traveling for compassionate and compelling reasons. 
  • A student in your final two years of study of a medical, dental, nursing, or allied health profession university degree, where you have evidence of a confirmed placement in an Australian hospital or medical practice, which begins within the next two months. 
  • A student completing 11 and 12 years with endorsement from ten Federal Department of Education, Skills, and Employment and support from the relevant Australian State or territory government health authority and education department. The Department of Education, Skills and Employment website is provided for further information related to this process. 
  • A person who resides on a vessel that obtains a safe port at the closest appointed port for provisioning or safety reasons for a limited duration, supported by the relevant State or territory government where haven is sought. 
  • Military personals involve all those who are part of the Status of Force Agreement, commonwealth armed Forces, Asia pacific Forces, and Status of Armed Forces Agreement. 
  • A foreign national sponsored by your employer to work in Australia in an occupation on the Priority Migration skilled occupation List (PMSOL). 
  • A foreign national with critical skills or working in a vital sector in Australia. 
  • Providing technical or specialist medical services involves delivering critical medical supplies, medical evacuations, and air ambulance. 
  • a foreign national whose entry into Australia would be n the national interest, supported by the Australian Government or a state or territory government authority
  • A Foreign national traveling at the invitation of the Australian Government or a state or territory government authority to assist in the COVID-19 response.

Before you travel, you must keep a visa and an exemption to Australia’s travel restriction. You must give reasonable proof to support your claim, and you can request an exemption online. If inappropriate proof is provided, they may finalize the requests with further discussions. According to the need, all the documents are translated into English officially. 

Before you planned to travel, you need to apply for an exemption for at least two weeks but not more than two months. 

The request may include:

  • accompanying proofs
  • supporting statement 
  • reasons for coming: why the exemption should be granted
  • proposed residential address and phone number in Australia
  • Traveler details including name, date of birth, visa type and number, passport number.

You should not continue with your travel plans as you will not be permitted to board a flight to Australia if you are not granted an exemption. If the exemption is given, then keep all the evidence at the airport for the exemption decision. 

Compassionate and compelling reasons to travel:

If you seek to travel for compassionate and compelling reasons, the Commissioner of the Australia Border Forces may grant an exemption. These reasons may include the critical illness of a close family member or due to death. Before travel, you must keep a visa and exemption to travel restrictions for Australia. To support the claim, appropriate evidence is provided, and request an exemption online. All documents need to be translated into English, and the request may finalize without further consideration. 

Before you plan to travel, you should apply for an exemption at least two weeks but not more than two months where possible. 

Inside this timeframe, you can apply due to death or critical illness and select according to priority. You should not continue with travel plans if you are not granted an exemption as you will not permit the Australian board to fly.