Internet speed checks should be made regularly because they possess a lot of information just by measuring and showing the speeds that your internet connection is providing at the moment. This can help you decide on maintenance issues, upgradation of the technology you are currently using, changing internet service provider and upgrading your basic plan or to buy more bandwidth transfer mediums such as optical fiber connections or local roaming connections.
Similarly, the good results also matter as they supplement and make possible your daily internet activities on social media, emailing, working remotely or even streaming rom coms for the spouse and enjoying nature documentaries or whatever makes your day.
The first step you specially have to go through is the interpretation and understanding the different measures that speedtest services provide.
The first is the downloading speed and the most important one as it literally makes things happen for you by running high quality videos and storing files on the computer for later use. Higher the downloading speed better the video quality and better you become capable of downloading high quality files on your computer.
The downloading speed helps massively in troubleshoots both on the computer and the routers because they provide an insight in the issue of loss in connectivity and detrimental speeds and poor connections.
The nest measure is the uploading speed and the second most important one because it can help you upload photos and videos on social media and email large files with optimum capacity to your boss or school. Uploading speed also helps you to better stream live on the internet on multiple platforms such as social media or live chats with friends and family.
The latency is the response time of the internet service providers’ servers to your connection or computer. This measure can affect gamers that have online live streaming or play online games that require much connection speed but for the domestic consumers it does not pose a huge problem.
Good Internet Speed
According to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), the good internet speed benchmark starts at a minimum download speed of 25 Mbps to perform everyday online tasks. Regarding what speeds you need for these common activities, your connection will need to meet the following minimum download speeds:
- 1-5 Mbps for email and web browsing
- 15-25 Mbps for streaming HD video
- 40-100 Mbps for streaming 4K video and light online gaming
- 200+ Mbps for streaming 4K video, online gaming, and downloading large files
Effects of Variable Speed
Different speed results have different effect on the day-to-day activities. Such as low downloading speeds mean low quality video streaming in mp4 formats. In the same way low uploading speeds mean it will take more time to upload files on the cloud.
The more latency will cause gamers to fall out on the quick responses and opponents with less ping will have an edge over them in the matches.
Increase internet speed
Increasing internet speeds can be both manual and automatic in their circumstantial terms. Automatically increasing internet speed means to purchase more Mbps packages or even considering going in to Gbps.
Manual methods are
- Upgrading routers can help only if you have a prior high-speed package with your ISP and your speed checks are returning good results within close proximity of the routers and in wire connectivity results.
- Checking computer drivers and upgrading on company standard drivers can help increase browsing speed considerably.
- Consider using a range extender if you have to have a distance greater than recommended from the router. These extenders can really help but you incur more cost on your setup as these addons can cost a little, but they are definitely effective.
- Consider using good LAN wires such as Cat5e for wired connectivity to maximize performance
To summarize, it is recommended to regularly speed check as it can point out early or persistent issues with the internet service provider and can help you in maintain a hassle free, good connectivity environment at all times for better productivity both, in the work setting and leisure or entertainment settings for yourself and the family.